Reducing the environmental impacts of the artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASM) in Gabon through the development of a monitoring mechanism
Date: December 2014- December 2015
Donor: WWF – Representation of Gabon
Development of a system based on the Fairmined certification model enabling the dissemination of sound practices of ASM in and around protected areas (PA).
- The establishment of an ASM database that allows to monitor the impacts generated by the artisanal mine in and in the vicinity of protected areas;
- The implementation of a practice improvement process based on Fairmined certification on 2 pilot sites in or near protected areas;
- The integration of the Fairmined standard at the national level with a focus on environmental management and poaching.
- Fairmined Standard gap analysis are performed and improvement plan are defined and validated by mining groups
- Effective implementation of miners´registry on pilot sites
- Awareness raising of the miners on the legal framework and initiation of a legalization process.
- Local sluice manufacturing and testing with miners
- Development and delivery of a database on the ASM sector with production, activity, social and environmental criteria that allow follow-up of the evolution of the activity
- Analysis of the ASM sector national strategy and drafting of a formalisation approach compatible with Fairmined certification in the current legal context