Helping mining communities impacted by covid-19 in Burkina Faso
Period: November 2020 – February 2021 (4 months)
Country: Burkina Faso (Center North, Center West, South West )
Donor: EGPS, World Bank
Preserve the health of artisanal miners, reduce the risks of the spread of Covid-19 within artisanal mining communities and strengthen ARM’s gender approach in Burkina Faso.
- Prevent and mitigate the impacts of Covid-19 on the health of artisanal miners and their families.
- Improve the resilience and working conditions of mining communities, and in particular of women.
Component 1 #: Health 1- Prevention of Covid-19
- Awareness-raising campaign for the adoption of barrier gestures and preventive measures.
- Installation of prevention committees against Covid-19 on mining sites, including among women associations.
- Awareness was raised in the mining communities of 10 mining sites spread over 3 regions (South West, Center North, Center West) are sensitized.
- 10 Covid-19 community committees have been set up and are monitoring compliance with preventive measures on the mining sites.
- 10 Covid-19 committees led by associations of women artisanal miners have been set up and are monitoring compliance with preventive measures on mining sites.
Component 2 #: Health and Social – Resilience and Improvement of the working conditions of artisanal miners.
- Training for the adoption of best practices in Occupational Health and Safety (OHS).
- Awareness-raising on women’s rights for the prevention of discrimination and gender-based violence (SGBV), as well as on the legislation in force in the ASM sector.
- Gender analysis of the ASM sector in Burkina Faso
Expected results :
- All in all, more than 600 women were trained at the 10 mining sites (target: 500 women minimum).
- More than 600 women were trained and their awareness raised on their rights (target: 500 women minimum).
- A report with a gender analysis and recommendations for the implementation of a strategy to improve gender equality in the ASM sector in Burkina Faso has been produced.