The preparatory phase of the “GEF GOLD+ Nicaragua: Enhancing the formalization and mercury reduction in artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM) in Nicaragua.”
Preparatory phase of the “GEF GOLD+ Nicaragua: Enhancing the formalization and mercury reduction in artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM) in Nicaragua.”
Enhancing the formalization and mercury reduction in artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM) in Nicaragua.”
Project start date and end date:
December 13, 2021 to April 15, 2022
Country of intervention:
ONUDI with funding from GEF Gold
Alliance for Responsible Mining
To provide services required for the preparation and completion of project documentation and CEO support package for submission to the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- A mapping of key public and private actors, non-governmental organizations, social sectors, and the productive mining sector, through their parent organizations, such as mining chambers and gold cooperatives of artisanal and small-scale miners will be developed.
- Confirmation of the baseline for components 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the project will be done as follows:
- Optimizing formalization strategies through integrated, holistic, and multi-sectoral approaches using commodity-specific landscape/jurisdictional approaches (JAs);
- Accelerating financial inclusion and creation of responsible supply chains;
- Enhancing uptake of mercury-free technologies through sustainable business models;
- Fostering knowledge sharing, learning, and local capacity-building support.
- Sites evaluation and selection, assessment, and application of a Sustainable Landscape Approach/Jurisdictional Approach in the proposed areas.
- Gender analysis at the sites and across the supply chain will be carried out to incorporate the gender perspective into the project activities.
- Risks and mitigation measures of the proposed activities should be identified, in addition to related monitoring, which should also incorporate the evaluation and development of implementation capacity, including a specific communication strategy.
- Based on the reference documents of the UNIDO Global Project and Child Project Concept – Nicaragua and the main products of the consultancy, a logical framework of the project will be developed, in addition to adapting the Theory of Change of the program to the specificities of Nicaragua. PRODOC will be the main product.
Artisanal and small-scale men and women miners in Nicaragua.