Between 2006 and 2013, ARM and Fairtrade International (FLO) worked together to develop the Fairtrade & Fairmined standard and create market access for gold products that support the social, environmental and economic development of Artisanal and Small-scale Mining (ASM) communities. The standard is based on ARM’s Standard Zero, which was developed and tested over a 3-year period, involving extensive consultation and testing at 9 pilot sites.
In 2009 a Joint Standards Subcommittee with membership from ARM´s Technical Committee (now the Guardian Committee) and FLO’s Standards Committee, was established and developed the draft standard, which was publically consulted with producers, miners, traders and NGOs. Both ARM and FLO boards approved the joint mining partnership and the Standard in December 2009, following approval by ARM’s Technical Committee and the FLO Standards Committee. In 2010 the first mining company was certified and in February 2011 the first ever Fairtrade & Fairmined gold was launched and sold in the UK.
In April 2013 the formal partnership between ARM and Fairtrade International ended, and the standards and label were separated. ARM is now continuing its work with the FAIRMINED standard independently.
Versions and important documents
1. GOLD STANDARD / ESTÁNDAR PARA ORO / STANDARD POUR L´OR / CRITERIO PARA ORO
Fairtrade and Fairmined standard for gold from artisanal and small-scale mining, including associated precious metals
2. EXPLANATORY DOCUMENT / DOCUMENTO EXPLICATIVO / DOCUMENT EXPLICATIF / DOCUMENTO EXPLICATIVO
ARM and FLO provide this Explanatory Document to all stakeholders to explain the intent and requirements of the STANDARD for Fairtrade and Fairmined Artisanal Gold
3. EXPLANATORY NOTES REGARDING THE TEMPORARILY EXCLUDED AREAS / DOCUMENTO EXPLICATIVO SOBRE LAS ÁREAS TEMPORALMENTE EXCLUÍDAS (ATE)
The scope excludes areas where conflict between the agricultural activity and artisanal and small-scale mining activity occurs. The document provides procedures and templates to be used when establishing a temporarily excluded area.
4. ESTABLISHMENT OF A TEMPORARILY EXCLUDED AREA - PIURA, PERU / CREACIÓN DE LA ÁREA TEMPORALMENTE EXCLUÍDA (ATE) - PIURA, PERÚ
5. REVIEW OF THE FAIRTRADE AND FAIRMINED STANDARD - PROJECT ASSIGNMENT
6. REVIEW OF THE FAIRTRADE AND FAIRMINED STANDARD - PROJECT ASSIGNMENT FEEDBACK FORM
Disponible en English |Español
7. STANDARD REVIEW 2012 - DOC 1: SUMMARY OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS AND QUESTIONNAIRE (1st consultation round)
8.STANDARD REVIEW 2012 - DOC 2: FULL STANDARD AMENDMENTS FOR COMMENT (1st consultation round)
9. STANDARD REVIEW 2012 - DOC 3: FURTHER EXPLANATION OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS (1st consultation round)
10. SYNOPSIS OF RESULTS OF THE 1ST ROUND OF CONSULTATION
The second round of the standard consultation is currently being carried out individually by ARM and will result in a renewed Estándar FAIRMINED