How do I join ARM’s network for responsible mining?
- We are currently working on a more formal membership scheme for all interested parties. To receive updates and news from us contact us and we will add you to our email list. When our membership system is in place we will then inform you. y le agregaremos a nuestra lista de correo electrónico. Le informaremos una vez tengamos el sistema de afiliación en orden.
Where does ARM work?
- We work globally on issues related to Artisanal and Small-scale Mining (ASM). We work locally with miners in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Burkina Faso, Mali and Senegal.
I am not from one of the countries where you currently work on the ground. Can I still be part of the network or get support?
- Everyone who wishes to participate in our workshops is very welcome. Unfortunately we cannot provide financial support to everyone.
Can I participate in one of ARMs workshops?
- Todo el que desee participar en nuestros talleres es más que bienvenido. Infortunadamente, no podemos ofrecer apoyo financiero a todos.
I am looking for someone to finance projects in my community. Will ARM provide economical support or prefinancing?
- We do not directly fund projects or provide prefinancing. All our projects are funded by external funders or partnerships with other organizations.
What is the Fairmined standard and certification system?
- Fairmined is a standard of good practice for Artisanal and Small-scale miners, which outlines the formalization, environmental, labor and traceability requirements that the mining organization has to fulfill, in order to be widely recognized as a responsible producer. In order to get Fairmined certified, the mining organization has to go through an audit, where representatives of an independent certification body will check if all of the above mentioned Fairmined Standard requirements are complied with.
What are the benefits of getting Fairmined certified?
- When you are a Fairmined certified producer you are guaranteed a fair price for your gold as well as an additional premium you can invest in community projects or in the mining operations.
Certified producers are guaranteed a more direct access to responsible markets and supply chains, ensuring that as much profit as possible stay in their pockets, rather than in those of middlemen. The most important benefit of becoming part of Fairmined movement though is the legitimacy you gain with the government, national and international public and the industry, by demonstrating them that Artisanal and Small-scale Miners CAN do things right if they are given the right support!
Being certified also means that you will be part of a network of experienced miners and support organizations from different countries, a great chance to learn, exchange knowledge and mining tips.
I want to be a certified Fairmined producer. What do I do to enter the system?
- First of all you should read the Fairmined Standard . It is quite a long document, but an important one as it will gives you an idea of what conditions your ASMO (Artisanal and Small-scale Organization) needs to fulfill to get certified according to the Standard. Currently we are in the process of reviewing the Standard to make sure we make it as user-friendly and flexible, as possible. The second public consultation will start in June 2013, if you would like to participate in this revision, please let us know and we will send you the revised proposal of the Fairmined standard. Your comments will be very welcome!
Will ARM cover the costs related to my Fairmined certification?
- No. However, through our Producer Support Fund, companies, governments, organizations and individuals can donate to support miners in reaching the certification. We also engage in projects with a wide range of international partners that wish to support miners in formalizing and getting Fairmined certified.
I am not part of a miners’ organization. Can I still get Fairmined certified?
- Only organized miners can get Fairmined certified.
How long does it take to get Fairmined certified?
- Reaching the environmental, organizational, economic and social standards required to get Fairmined certified can take everything from a few months to several years depending on the organizations level of formalization.
What are the costs of getting Fairmined certified?
- The costs of formalizing depend greatly. When an organization feels ready to certify it must pay for the certifying body to perform the audit, as well as for follow up audits approximately once a year.